Shado: Build Love, Break Walls.
This February we are pleased to be supporting Shado, a publication amplifying the voices of those at the frontline change, on their collaborative exhibition ‘Build Love, Break Walls’ in celebration of LGBTQI+ history month.
The magazine is taking up residency in Bermondsey Project Space for two weeks, where their theme will focus specifically on the experiences of, and barriers faced by, those seeking gender or sexual asylum. This will include:
– A photography exhibition curated by Shado
– Works by painter Sola Olulode and photographer Alia Romagnoli
– A series of posters by Shado illustrators along the theme ‘Build Love, Break Walls’
– An exhibition by Help Refugees celebrating their projects around Europe including Say It Loud, a community support group for LGBTQI+ refugees and asylum seekers in the UK.
“The residency showcases a collection of events and exhibition to celebrate the unifying aspects of love without borders.”
The event launches Wednesday February 12th with an evening of live spoken word performance by Tanaka Fuego, as well as talks by Help Refugees and Say It Loud Club, and includes a complimentary drink on entry courtesy of Unicorn Tears Gin by Firebox.
The exhibition will run until Saturday February 22nd events complimenting the exhibitions on show. The full programme can be found here.
Private View: Wednesday 12th February, 6:30 – 9:30pm, RSVP here
Exhibition Dates: 11th – 22nd February, 11:00am – 6:00pm
Location: Bermondsey Project Space: 185 Bermondsey Street, London, SE1 3UW
1. © Poster design by Molly Hankinson; photography by Inès Hachou of Jacob V Joyce.
2. © Molly Hankinson, ‘Build love break walls’